Monday, July 7, 2008

Finally Back in Kigali

We are back in Kigali after a long week of being rock stars and crowded so you can't even breath. We visited two different schools and several churches. We got to play Volleyball in the rain, and some soccer. The spiders where big, and the food was amazing.
Here is Anna with her perspective on the week:

Since I really and I mean really like my space there was a time this week when I needed my space after being a celebrity for less than a week. Let me tell you, all my childhood dreams of being a huge superstar in hollywood and having a pet chiwawa that I could carry around in my purse were totally dashed...When the clock struck 4 we all groaned 'cause that meant that once again we would have to go appease our fans by playing soccer with them. We also knew that we were going to make fools of ourselves because they are soccer stars and we're definentely not! Before play commenced, play with the kids was happening whether we like it or not. We didn't have enough hands to be held and I had two plastic balls wrapped in rubber bands being kicked and thrown at me with the expectation that they would be returned.
We finally started the game but as we had thought they were AMAZING! At half time I had had enough of the constant blur of bodies and got a replacement so I could hang out on the side lines. Earlier I had been so against hanging out with people but the adrenaline from the game had made me excited to go find the kids I had been playing earlier. So I did and I was soon surrounded once again but this time I really enjoyed getting to know some of the kids personalities.


A note from Drew:

Greetings to all our Oregonian/Hawaiian brothers sisters mothers fathers sinners and Josh Reid!

One the challenges that I have consistently encoutered in the course of our trip is that of communication. A typical conversation usually entails a couple of languages, hello, how are you, do you speak french, and do like obama or McCain and will you give me money? During this past week , as the tension began to build within me, I became frustrated about my inability to communicate with the locals. But after a couple days up north, we finally started speaking the same language; the language of sport. As we traded high fives, smiles and cheers, I finally felt a deeper connection beyond the level of "hey, how are you." Who needs french anyway?

A note from Amy:
Joshua Reid, i am quite offended that Drew has replaced me as your "main man." we'll take this outside when i get back.

More Pictures will be posted tomorrow, with some more notes about the last week. It;s just too much information for the internet out here to handle.

We all are looking forward to our own beds and our loved ones. Thank you all for your Prayers and comments... the Kids love them.

4 comments:

jReid said...

Anna, sounds exhilerating and exhausting at the same time. May God continue to give you all the energy, God-induced joy, and love that you want and need to finish your adventures "strong."

Drew, I couldn't help but notice the coupling of your greeting...it looks like a distinct set of pairs to me... (brothers/sisters), (mothers/fathers), (sinners/Josh Reid)...this must mean that I am chief among sinners!

Amy, sorry for the confusion. Let me clarify. Drew is my "main man." But you, with all that hair...you're my "mane man." Hope this helps clear the air.

Peace to all of you.

Paula Jean said...

So good to hear from you -- seemed like a long week to me wondering how things were going, what you were doing, etc. Thanks, Anna, for your candid sharing about the pressures of being "on" as a foreign guest. We look forward to hearing all your stories when you get back! I pray that this third and final week will be filled with opportunities for God's grace to grow in and shine through you!

ecropper said...

Sounds like all in all God is at work. So nice to hear from all the kids. What an amazing time you are all having. This week I am missing you Em. Can't wait to see you. Blessing in all that you do.
Elaine and Wes

csaxton said...

Great video! We very much appreciate the updates. Here's to a last great week together in Rwanda! We continue to pray for you and all that God seeks to do in and through your lives.
Much love, Colin & Janine